Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Gluten Free - Dinner For Two - Under $15

As most of you know by now I am allergic to gluten (though on many occasions it doesn't stop me from over indulging on pizza and pasta, then throwing it up later) so Travis and I make gluten free, protein filled (so that I don't kill him with my diet) amazing tasting meals and here's one of them.

Round Bottom Steak with Beef Seasoned Quinoa, Sauteed Vegi/Fruit Medley and a Baked Sweet Potato


Longest name for a meal.. I know..

So let's start with the order in which I had to cook things.

Baked Sweet Potato - Travis has never had this so I decided to keep it simple and just throw the potato in the oven. 
What we got: 1 medium sized sweet potato. Purchased at Whole Foods,  $2
Heat over to 375 degrees.
Rinse sweet potato, wrap in foil (I included a little butter) place in oven until soft. About 45 Minutes.. depending on the size.
Cut down the center, lightly fluff with fork, add butter to taste and a pinch of salt.. ready to go!


Round Bottom Steak - I left the steak out in room temperature to allow it to warm so that it will cook evenly. If you are pulling something out from the freezer, allow it to thaw completely before cooking. It will avoid the mistake that i have made too often when the outside is borderline burnt and the inside is raw.  Also cooking over Medium will help solve that too. 

What we got: 2 steaks (1.38lb @ $5.49lb = $7.58). Purchased at Whole Foods.

So two steak at room temperature seasoned with: season salt, pepper, basil, thyme and coconut oil was used to start. Pan fry over med-hi heat until cooked to your perfection. We like Medium.


Sauteed Vegi/Fruit Medley -  We thought we would add some cubed apples into the mix of vegi's for a new texture and flavor.

What we got: 1 yellow squash, 1 apple (we used pink lady), 6 mushrooms, 6 asparagus stalks. Purchased at Whole foods and Cala Foods - Totaled $4.00
Heat pan to med-hi and add a little oil, allow pan to keep heating
Add vegi's... cut them however you like..... i'm not picky..
Saute until done.. I added a little salt.. but kept everything pretty plain

Beef Flavored Quinoa - We LOVE quinoa. check out all of the amazing things it has to offer your body.
What we got: 1 cup dried quiona from Real Foods on Polk - Totaled - $1.00
We had beef paste as the house already but the jar was $5 at Real Foods
1/2tsp beef paste
1cup dried rinsed quinoa

cook like you would rice. bring to a boil then cover and reduce to a simmer until water is boiled out.

Food Total- $14.58.. had some extra vegi's for breakfast tomorrow!!


Eating gluten free doesn't always have to taste bad or try to mimick eating whole grains. YES, there are recipes that I use when I want to feel like I am over indulging on gluten but I find that it is easier and more satisfying to just eat things that are gluten free naturally and make meals around them. Who knows... some of your favorite meals might be gluten free..

1 comment: